Monday, December 7, 2009

18 days till Christmas...

Today we braved the cold to get our Christmas tree - and it's a beauty! I just don't know what to put on it now that we have it, so it is leaning against the cabin for now. Maybe I will find some ideas online tonight. I could, and probably will, end up doing a popcorn string - that just seems like so much work! I could do the same with rosehips, but, again, so much work! Maybe I will not worry about the work it takes and do both... It's too late to buy anything over the internet now.
After our trip today, I think I need to devise something between a balaclava and a burka. I have some polar fleece and I'll have to see what I can come up with. I get cold at the top of my cheeks under my safety glasses, and just above my eyebrows above my safety glasses but below my toque. I'll let you know what I come up with.
When we were out today to get the tree, we saw a ton of moose tracks. They were absent for hunting season, but, knowing they are safe now, their tracks criss cross the road like a dozen moose highways. There were beds all over the place, I kept thinking we would come upon one, but we never did get to see one. I don't know much about moose, but seeing many of their beds today, it looks like they just lie down anywhere comfortable, not even sheltered from the cold, and bed down. Some had pawed through to the grass at the front of their beds, for a bedtime snack, I guess. We also saw fresh otter and lynx tracks on the ice at the culverts, where the road crosses the lake. These tracks were made today as there was a heavy hoar frost in the air this morning and it filled my tracks and the dogs' on the road above the cabin since yesterday with a hairy frost, but the otter and lynx tracks were free of it, so must have been made this afternoon. There was also lots of good marten sign up that way as well, towards the logging blocks north of us.
Rocky, our dog, has been barking close to night and day it seems for a couple of days now. We figure that he is barking at the ice on the lake. The first night before it was completely formed, it tinkled all night, like crystals, now it creaks and groans as it thickens. Both noises were foreign to him, so we are hoping it stays quiet tonight so we can get some sleep! The ice thickened from patches of slush two days ago, to about 1/8" yesterday morning to well over 1" today, and it had even gained since this morning. We hope it thickens soon so we can skate and make our beach bonfire pit. There are bets going here between the boys as to when the lake will have 3" of ice on it.
There was a new luge track made on another "wing" of the sledding hill today. This one not quite as speedy as the first one. That one has to be something for the record books for twists, turns, underpasses, etc. The newest one goes right past Heather and Paul's backdoor. The popular way to go down the hill is in a "train" all connected together, each person riding their own snow saucer. I'll have to admit, I am too chicken to go down this way yet, so I've only watched everyone else do it. Maybe I'll gain some courage before Christmas!
We are likely skipping make the mail trip this week - it is supposed to be cold! From emails coming from residents up that way, it seems they are doubly as cold as we are during this cold spell. Our coldest here is -16 so far and we have had four reports from out that way of -26, -29.5, -30, and -32, each of these people at different elevations along the river. All temperatures in degrees celsius. After hearing reports from back home of the weather I am very thankful we don't have to worry about any winter driving!
If I can get our tree decorated in the next few days I'll post some picturees.

No comments:

Post a Comment