Friday, December 4, 2009

So many things I want to try!

I know I should be cutting back on all the things I do at "home" that I complain about making my life too busy... I just can't though! I love doing them! There are so many things here I want to try. The other day we made evergreen swags for over our windows, evergreen arrangements for the deck, tomorrow I want to make a bunch of ice luminaries for around the yard, I want to make a batch of homemade yogurt, make a sourdough starter for bread... The list goes on, I am making homemade food gifts for our new neighbors this year, but after getting to know them, I realize that cookies won't fit the bill for everyone. Some are on special diets, some don't do sweets. I am researching now to see what will work the best for everyone! Or maybe each one will be a little different. Heather and I are currently working on a batch of homemade wine too, maybe that will work!
I would like to maybe go tomorrow too and get our Christmas tree, before the expected cold snap hits us here. I have been trying to do the math and see if our fresh tree will make it until Christmas without dropping too many needles - keep in mind it will be only feet from a wood stove. I figure the ones sold in stores at the beginning of December have been cut for a week or more already, and they usually last OK until Christmas time... Add to my list here - making all the Christmas decorations - we brought none!
Tim got my snowmobile fixed today - yay! The neighbor who helped us out by picking up the last of the parts in Prince George also had a few extra pieces kicking around that we needed. What a help!
We went to Manson Creek for a visit this Wednesday and when we left the cabin it was only -13, when we got to where we were going though, it was -22! I could feel myself cooling off as we got closer to our destination. We were welcomed into a warm cabin for a warm lunch served with hot chocolate at a table next to the wood stove. Are you warm yet? We were all well dressed for the trip, and, thanks to Grandma, had a supply of hand and foot warmers to stick into cold mitts and boots for the way home. We left before sun-up, and were driving home after sun-down. It was a long, chilly day. Heather and I borrowed a truck to go and get the mail about 30km away. We left the boys behind to do their visiting. On the snowmobile trail on the way there, there was lots of wolf sign, big patches of snow full of footprints where they had frolicked and laid on the trail. I guess they don't like to get their feet cold in the deep snow either if they don't have to! All their footprints frozen into the trail were like speedbumps. We have not heard any howling yet, but hope to soon. We met a man on Wednesday who spent a spring in the cabin we are in now and he said that once the lake is frozen, it is like a highway for animals. He saw moose, caribou, wolves, and even a grizzly bear crossing the ice - in the first few days of June! I can't wait for that! Now I just need a National Geographic sized lens for my camera to capture it!

No comments:

Post a Comment