Monday, April 26, 2010

A few little pieces of the dream coming together...

When Tim and I first came to these cabins in 2001 and the seed to our dream was planted - I have pictured many things in my mind's eye. I saw us doing many things around the place while we were here. Since by then the place had already been uninhabited for a few years, they were already in need of some TLC. Insert 8 years of hoping and planning and imagining. One of the things that needed doing was the replacement of the steps down to the lake from here. Over the years the elements had been hard on the ones that were there and we always envisioned a new set there. Yesterday the weather was warm, and we were all willing bodies so we shed our coats and set to work ripping the rotten ones out. Paul cut some stringers and he and Tim set to work cutting the place on the logs where the steps will set. If the weather holds today (several days of rain are forecast) I plan to move the firepit above the highwater line. Now some steps just need to be cut and that job will be done!
Another thing I longed to to was some landscaping around the cabin. Last fall's time was occupied by doing the dirty work; finishing the addition, clearing away the garbage and doing lots of cleanup. That left this spring for the fun part. Tim and I moved load after load of washed rock and made a rock path all around the cabin and out to the outhouse. We inserted a few solar lights too now that the sun is high enough in the sky to reach them behind the cabin. Not only does it look great - it also stops the tracking in of all the spruce needles that were on the ground. I will definitely post pictures of both projects soon.
We had a friend make the trip out from the valley on Friday and we had a great visit in the sun (I even got a burn on my face!) - hearing some great stories about their recent trip to Mexico. He loaded his sled up and drove in on our road as far as he could - he figures about a quarter of a mile - then unloaded and drove on the lake once he reached it. Even though it looks sketchy - there are still at least two feet of ice on the lake. When we go out for mail day this week we will bring the truck in as far as we can on the road and we hope inside of a few weeks to be travelling in and out with trucks. We will just keep moving ours along until we can make it all the way in. It is deceiving as all around us the road is showing - a few kilometres in each direction. At the end of the lake though the snow is still very deep. When I was getting stuck last Saturday there were parts that were still over my knees!
I am hoping to have school wrapped up by the end of May and with only two more modules to complete (there were ten for the year and we started in October.) I think we are getting close. Did I mention that I taught Cohen to read??? I wondered how that would happen but with all the great resources that came with the homeschooling package, the job was made painless.When we get home I will be on a mission to get to the library and take out some primary readers so he can keep up with it.
We are expecting friends from home that also have a claim out here sometime in the first week of June and we can hardly wait. We miss you guys! We will also start hauling loads out then as well. I aim to be just about out of food then too so meals over the next month and a bit should be interesting. Supper one night near the end of this might be packaged oatmeal, fruit cocktail and a Lipton Sidekick. Want to join us?

No comments:

Post a Comment