Monday, May 24, 2010

Sharpening his teeth...

Well, there is something new chewing on the cabin. I did not hear it yet today, but think judging from the sound that it may be another porcupine. The first one was a male so this one is not a baby, but maybe a mate? I know this will be hard to believe for my friends and family back home, but I am OK with the situation. Yesterday as I drank my tea, I could hear it bristling around underneath, stopping to chew on the occasional floor joist. He is not bothering us or the dogs, so unless that time comes, we will co-exist. We seem to share mealtimes - as we sit down for breakfast, lunch and supper, so begins the chorus of chewing!
The hummingbirds are now regular visitors to my feeder. There are a pair of Rufous hummingbirds, and a pair of Calliope hummingbirds. The very aggressive Rufous "buzz" me on the front deck and the small, almost shy Calliope's have to eat while the other variety is away from the feeder or risk being charged. At a friend's house last week we had the opportunity to see many (between 20 and 30!) hummingbirds at her feeders. With 3 feeders and only 1 or 2 feeding stations at each - you can imagine the commotion as that many little birds vied for a drink of sugar water. They dodged and darted from each other all afternoon. She had to bring out the "big guns" after we left - 2 litre feeders - or she would be adding food to them almost daily. They will slow down on their feeding soon enough, but having just arrived after a long journey - they are in need of replenishment. Factoid - did you know that their wings beat 70 times a second? Amazing.
The loons are back on the lake now and call quite regularly. It is almost humorous to see them out there in the rain too, bobbing on the waves. Tim and I took the kids down on the beach so they could practice casting the other night and I wish I'd had my camera because there was a pair of Barrow's Goldeneyes - so pretty! I don't know if they nest here or were just stopping in, noticing the big expanse of open water as they journeyed north.
Tim is back out and working on the trommel - he hopes to be done it this week and then he will deliver it to Williams Lake. On his way in the other day - he saw where wolves had just gotten another moose about 14km up the road. We had been over that trail just two days earlier and there was nothing there. He said all that was left was a pile of hair. They sure made quick work of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment